Scott Love, an attorney recruiter from The Attorney Search Group in Washington, DC, interviewed me on the Partner Podcast. Just visit https://itunes.apple.com/us/
- Create contents by getting other people to talk about themselves.
- Write blog posts and tell stories with an emotional hook.
- Write your own posts. My blog started 20 years ago and has gotten 1 million visitors. The first blog post I wrote is still attracting people.
- Clients want good case histories, showing what it meant to the company, and spelling out the obstacle that was overcome.
- Emotion engages people. People buy on emotion and justify with logic.
- Attorneys should join an organization of clients to get business. There is no business to be found in the office.
- Get on Facebook or LinkedIn and engage them, so you can meet them in person.
- Figure out which organization to join by asking your best clients, and then go to the next meeting with them.
- Get on the board, because everyone knows the board of directors.
- When asked, give your 30-second commercial. It has 3 elements.
- There are attorney finders, minders, and grinders. Firms should hire a lawyer with an owner mentality and want to have their own book of business.
- Your business plan should include clients you can visit, referral sources you can see, meetings that clients go to, and give a talk to establish yourself as an authority. You will start to attract new business.
- The trick to making a good presentation is to invite clients, referral sources and fellow attorneys to a lunch and learn in your office. Talk about the problems they have for which there are legal solutions.
- To become a good speaker, attend a lot of speeches and look for the techniques the speaker used to hold the audience's attention.
- To overcome a fear of public speaking, prepare. Write out by hand the primary point's you'll cover, and practice how you'll begin the speech.
- Cement your notes in your mind, repeat the speech in a blog post, have your speech videotaped for YouTube, and next turn it into a webinar. You do the effort once and find multiple ways to present it.
- Present CLE progams, and incorporate questions into a new blog post.
Find me by Googling "law firm marketing" and read my blog posts